Friday, May 12, 2023

When Home Education is Not Academic

We are taking a break from school in May.

At least, that's what I tell people. My children are fairly convinced this is a fact also, simply because we aren't doing math worksheets nor getting out the science book.

Yet, truly, most of our days are spent the same way they are always spent.

We read the Bible - the girls and I are going through the history books of the Old Testament.

We create things - they wanted to build a house for some cat figurines out of pop-cycle sticks. 

We wrestle with our hearts and attitudes towards each other.


 

Most of the education I give my children is non-academic. Yes, math, history, spelling, science, all that is good - but if I fail to teach my children what it means to follow Christ, to be godly women... if I don't teach them diligently to love the Lord God first and then to love others as themselves, then what am I teaching them? 

You have to decide what God has called you to focus on as a homeschool mom. I'm learning that the journey is way more than academics. Even when we are "doing school", the majority of my day is focused on teaching my children nonacademic lessons.

Life lessons that will impact every aspect of their life.


Some verses that influence our journey:

Children, obey your parents in all things for this is well pleasing to the Lord (Colossians 3:20)

Be kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you (Ephesians 4:32)

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. (Matthew 22:37-39)

God bless.




No comments:

Post a Comment