Wednesday, May 24, 2023

I didn't expect that.

This is going to be a piggy-back off of my previous post, so if you missed that feel free to click over and read.

Today was a day that Alexander could have called a "terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day." Absolutely nothing went as planned, and actually many of the plans I had made were completely ruined - much to the distress of my children.

This situation allows me, as the mother, to teach my children how to properly handle the unexpected.

This is part of what being a parent, called to train my children in the way they should go, is all about.

Today, God allowed me to teach by good example - He gave me the grace to help show what good can come of a terrible, horrible, no good situation. I was allowed to talk my emotional pre-teen through the disappointment of not being able to do all the fun we had planned and still see that God is good. I was able to be calm in having to find new childcare, missing lunch, and finding the grocery store closed, all within 30 minutes. 

Homeschooling, I have found, is primarily non-academic. Truly.

Let me encourage all my mom friends: homeschooling or not,  from little babies all the way up to adult-age children. Life is non-academic. What is most important is non-academic.

We often face the unexpected. Our children need to learn how to face the unexpected. Will we teach them to react to the unexpected like Alexander, in frustration? Or will we teach them to face the unexpected with a reliance in God.

Our God is never caught off guard. What is unexpected to us is just part of how He is going to move in our lives. He created everything, knew my frame before I was formed in my mother's womb, and knew this day before time began.

We can trust Him. We NEED to trust in Him.

We need to teach our children to trust in Him.

I am praying for you. I am praying for grace and peace through the expected and the unexpected.



No comments:

Post a Comment