Friday, June 9, 2023

Nevertheless

And he went a little further, and fell on his face, and prayed, saying, O my Father, if it be possible, let this cup pass from me: nevertheless not as I will, but as thou wilt.

Matthew 26:39

 This is a prayer that is quite possibly one of the hardest prayers for us to pray.

It is also most likely one of the most needful.

 


 We struggle through hard times as women, as mothers. We feel the weight of all those around us. We naturally bear other's burdens. We want to nurture, heal, yet are often unable to truly produce the desired change.

Sometimes it's the health of a parent - we don't want our parent to suffer, get sick, or die, nevertheless, not our will but the Lord's. We have to walk through that valley and depend on His strength.

 Sometimes it's the health of a child. Children get sick all the time, but what about when the sickness is life-threatening? What if it's especially painful, or one of those things that drags out for along time with no known ending? We want the child healed! Nevertheless, not our will, but the Lord's. We have to lean on Him.

 Our health, or the health of a spouse. How can we provide for our children, financially, emotionally, spiritually, if we fear losing our life or the life of our spouse? 

A job, the house, there are so many situations where we find ourselves praying for relief, praying for escape. We know what we want and we don't want to have to suffer through potential loss.

 Our prayers are "Lord, don't make me go through this."

I don't say this to condemn. I also struggle.

But there is a peace when we can truly see that all our hope, all our peace, lies in Jesus Christ. His Spirit is what gives us life.

When we finally get to the point where we can truly say "nevertheless", there is a freedom. There is peace that can only come from the Lord.

Lord, I don't want to go through the pain I see coming my way. I don't want to deal with this, but I know Your Word is true. I don't feel confident, but I know You are true. I know You love me, You work all things for my good. I know nothing can separate me from Your love, that Your grace is sufficient. Please, take this cup from me, nevertheless, Thy will be done. If I must, please give me Your peace that passes understanding, Your joy that is not the world's joy, and help me to trust in You. Nevertheless, Thy will be done.

I prayed this prayer recently (admittedly, the words were probably not as clear, but the meaning the same) and I can not describe the peace that flowed over my heart when I said amen.

We can trust God.

💕    💕    💕

I'm going to leave you with a few songs that have helped me in the past.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAmh3yvmzXs - Thy Will by Hillary Scott

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgFgOZOL9aA - Lay it Down by Jaci Velasquez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nyG29JJoGk - Even If by Mercy Me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyJuyJuJz-s -It Is Well

 

No comments:

Post a Comment